UNBA Judicial Committee gets a new Chairman
Home news quote
Attorney Andriy Tsygankov has been appointed as the Chairman of the Committee on the Independence of Justice and the Judiciary of the Ukrainian National Bar Association.
Previously, Mr. Tsygankov headed the UNBA's Committees on Information Policy and Ethics.
The Committee on the Independence of Justice and the Judiciary was established in February 2022. Its tasks are as follows:
- scientific and practical study of the current state of judicial proceedings and the judiciary;
- developing generalized proposals and presenting them to the working bodies of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and other state authorities, commissions, working groups, etc;
- submitting such proposals and comments to the subjects of legislative initiative and subjects authorized to adopt bylaws related to the judiciary and the judicial system;
- analysis and generalization of law enforcement practice in the field of judicial proceedings, judicial system and judicial independence;
- in agreement with the UNBA management, discussing the formed proposals with judicial and other professional associations;
- holding public events (conferences, roundtables, seminars, etc.) on legal issues and practical implementation of judicial proceedings, judicial system and judicial independence;
- development of training programs aimed at expert discussion of problematic issues, advanced training of attorneys on practical aspects of the functioning of judicial governance and self-government bodies.
The Ukrainian National Bar Association has recently decided to study the effectiveness and accessibility of justice and invited lawyers from the regions to participate. In particular, it is planned to find answers to the following questions: what is the real reason for the length of time for consideration of cases in Ukrainian courts, are lawyers to blame for this problem, and how legitimate is the interference of judges in the competence of the bar's disciplinary bodies?
The rule of law and the right to defense: Ukraine in the spotlight at the BIC meeting at the IBA
Representatives of the Ukrainian legal community had the opportunity to tell their colleagues from many countries about the professional problems faced by defense lawyers during the war.
Protection of the rights of Ukrainian lawyers goes international
The Law Society of England and Wales will provide institutional support to the Ukrainian National Bar Association. To protect the rights of lawyers at the international level, the project «Lawyers at Risk» has been launched.
Confirmation of trademark use: AIPPI adopted a resolution
What facts and circumstances can be taken into account to recognize the true use of a trademark, how to prove its use, is it possible to use a trademark in a form other than the registered one, when the use of the trademark does not change the distinctiveness of the already registered trademark?
UNBA is represented at a high level at the IBA Annual Conference in Paris
From October 28 to November 03, 2023, the annual conference of the International Bar Association (IBA) is taking place in Paris, bringing together more than 6 thousand lawyers from around the world. This is a high-level event where topical issues of the world bar are discussed, and ways to solve international legal problems are sought.
How will specialists in village councils assess the work of lawyers? The Cabinet of Ministers Resolution needs to be changed
The Cabinet of Ministers, in regulating the organisation of free primary legal aid by local governments, agreed with the UNBA's position on the need to abolish the requirements for the qualifications of lawyers involved in such assistance. However, the issue of monitoring the quality of FLA requires further changes.
The Rules of Effective Procedure are the law, not internal recommendations (decision of the BCU)
When considering cases, courts may be guided solely by the provisions of the Constitution and laws of Ukraine. And in resolving procedural issues, no rules of court procedure, based even on the best recommendations, can be applied, as they are not a source of law.
The defence of the rights of advocates was led by Yevhen Solodko
Yevhen Solodko, lawyer, Honoured Lawyer of Ukraine, has been appointed as the Chair of the Committee on Protection of Advocates' Rights and Guarantees of Legal Practice of the Ukrainian National Bar Association.
The history of the bar will be researched by the CSHAU
The Central State Historical Archive of Ukraine (Kyiv) will facilitate research, archaeological, exhibition and popularisation activities in the field of research on the history of the Ukrainian Bar and preservation of its archival and documentary heritage.